Posted: January 6, 2022
Job Title: Software Developer
Reports To: Head of Engineering
Type of Employment: This is a full-time and salaried position, potentially including equity in the company.
Concourse is a tech startup company that’s reinventing college admissions in order to create more access to higher education. Our mission is to bring opportunities and scholarships to underserved students by flipping the script on admissions and having colleges come to students, rather than the other way around.
It’s a groundbreaking approach that’s attracting the attention of academic professionals and edtech thought leaders and has already delivered thousands of admission offers and over $100 million in scholarships to college-bound students around the world.
We are aiming high, seeking to change the world by rethinking and reinventing a college admission system that hasn’t evolved in decades, in order to level the playing field and create more opportunities for students.
About the Position
We are looking for a talented software developer to join us. Someone with a passion to build great software, who can crank out great code, and who is excited about our mission.
While we’re a smart, motivated team, experts in our fields, and have achieved a lot in a short time, our company culture is humble. If you’re a prima donna with a big ego, this probably isn’t the right opportunity for you, no matter how well you code.
But if you’re an excellent developer, looking to work on a great project together with a talented team of super nice people, working on a great mission that helps students around the world, you’re going to love this job.
- Maintain and enhance Concourse software components.
- Build new Concourse software components as required.
- Work with the Head of Engineering and other Concourse team members to stay aligned with the product roadmap and requirements.
- Contribute to strategic decisions with the rest of the team.
3+ years of software development work experience.
The successful candidate will have:
- A strong software development background with an obsessive eye for readable, elegant code.
- Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision.
- Self-motivated and able to run with major initiatives with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication skills – able to articulate and defend your implementation decisions.
- Experience and comfort level with the tools of the trade (e.g. agile development tools)
- Experience with third party tools that can enrich the platform (e.g. FullStory, Drip, Stripe, etc.)
What is Cool About This Job
Your work at Concourse has the potential to improve the lives of millions of students around the world.
You will be an important player in a growing company that is tackling a huge problem and gaining national attention. You will have the opportunity to shape our product, and work with an awesome team in a fair, ethical, productive, fun workplace.
We are a remote native company. You can work from home, or from a tropical island *, or pretty much anywhere you like. We live on Slack and Zoom. We’re flexible about hours, vacation, and pretty much everything. As long as you’re communicating well and getting your work done, you will have a ton of freedom.
Once in a while we meet in person (typically in the New York City area) and we have drinks and dinners together. It’s a great team.
What is Challenging About This Job
You have to be a self starter, able to work without a lot of supervision. We are a startup, and sometimes we have to work to difficult deadlines in order to capitalize on opportunities.
There won’t necessarily be someone checking in on you every day to see how you’re doing. If you run into problems, you have to be proactive and ask team members for help. You have to be communicating well on Slack and keeping predictable office hours.
Head of Engineering
* Tropical island not included in comp package; must supply own island.